Archive for October, 2010
So many of us start up a program to get healthy and lose weight. The best way to achieve this daunting task is to break it down into reasonable behaviors that work well and get the job done. Whether you work out at home or the gym, or eat at home or dine out you can use these 8 tips to be successful in your entire fitness and health routine.
1. Each morning should be started with something healthy. Studies show that healthy, fit people eat breakfast. So by starting your day off with a healthy breakfast you’re already ahead of the game. Go for a cereal high in protein and fiber, low in calories and low in sugar. You’ll stay full on calories so come lunch time you’re not ravenous and start eating the wrong foods. Additionally, take a daily multivitamin with your breakfast to ensure you get the proper nutrients you need to keep your body and workouts fueled without thinking about it.
2. Check the calories before you eat. Eating fast food or ordering takeout does not mean you have to gain weight. Look at the calorie count of foods at your regular restaurants and choose one that’s less than 500 calories. You can also check out dietfacts.com to review the calorie count of different foods at popular restaurants.
3. Snacks should be pre-portioned. Sit down with a bag of chips in front of the TV and the whole thing is gone by the end of the show. Make sure you stock your home with healthy snacks but also pre-portion them out at the time you buy them and then stick to one serving whenever it’s snack time. In moderation, most foods are healthy but too much of them can put on pounds before you know it. Sliced-up cucumbers and red peppers are great healthy snacks and can be prepared ahead of time. You’ll be more likely to reach for them if they’re ready than a high-calorie, fat rich snack like chips or a quick frozen pizza.
4. Hang out health –consciously. Socializing doesn’t always mean you have to eat out. Catch up with friends on a hike or walk instead of dinner and drinks at the local pub. You can get a workout in and enjoy friendly conversation at the same time. And you save money and pounds around the waist. Another good idea is to host a potluck where everyone brings their healthy dishes or treats and prints out the recipes to share with all. You’ll end up with an arsenal of healthy recipes to make in the future.
5. Toppings should be low. On calories, that is. Dressings and creamy sauces can really rack up the calories. Keep low- to no-calorie toppings like mild/hot sauce, mustard, pico de gallo, pepper, parmesan cheese in moderation and 1-calorie-a-spray salad dressings handy. You’ll be taking off the weight without sacrificing taste.
6. Make a commitment to workout times. No matter whether it’s a 10-minute workout or an hour plus exercise routine, commit to a schedule, workout and stick to it. Your other responsibilities can be planned around these times. Remember working out is essential to your health and life and realizing it should be a priority that will help you meet your weight loss goals and help you live a better life. Use a calendar or workout with a friend – do what it takes to keep this commitment.
7. Put your workout attire out the night before. This not only saves time but it can make a big difference in making sure you actually do the workout. It’s a good motivation but also provides a little extra snooze time before working out. For those of you who don’t work at home, pack your workout bag the night before and always have it ready at work or in your car. That way there won’t be any excuse not to work out.
8. Your healthiest meal of the day should be in liquid form. Replacing one meal a day or a snack, with a healthy shake is the easiest way to lose weight and get extra nutrients you need to stay firm and fit. One of the best is Shakeology®. It targets nutrition, digestion, fullness and detoxification that gives you a multifaceted approach to help you stay full, reduce food cravings, shed fat, lower cholesterol, improve digestion and have more natural energy. This is done through a great tasting 140-calorie shake. You can make Shakeology® with water or milk or even add a teaspoon of mint or peanut butter. Make it to suit your individual taste and you’ll enjoy Shakeology® and reap great benefits.
The triathlon boom is on! Statistics say triathlon growth is at an all time high in the United States. USA Triathlon membership has grown by large percentages in the past 10 years, rising from a little over 19,000 to almost 135,000 in 2010.
Whether you’re an athlete fending off injury and time out of the picture, a first-time exerciser trying to lose some excess pounds and keep them off or a single-sport individual seeking your next fitness challenge, tri fever is sweeping the nation and more and more men and women are getting on the band wagon.
Tri Goals to Go For
Triathlons run almost year around in the US and they vary a lot in terms of length and location. You can start with a pool-based tri if you don’t like the thought of racing in open choppy water. If you’re not quite up to hills with your bike riding, you can choose a race that’s nice and flat.
Most tri events fall into one of three distances even though there are a few that offer a super-sprint that’s shorter than a sprint or middle-distance that’s between Olympic and Ironman. Here is a list of the 3 main triathlon races and also the half Ironman:
SPRINT: 750m (.45-mile) swim, 20K (12-mile) bike, 5K (3.1-mile) run
OLYMPIC: 1.5K (.93-mile) swim, 40K (24.8-mile) bike, 10K (6.2-mile) run
Half-IRONMAN: 1.9K (1.2-mile) swim, 89.6K (56-mile) bike, 21 K (13-mile) run
IRONMAN: 3.8K (2.4-mile) swim, 180K (112-mile) bike, 42K (26.2-mile) run (marathon)
In between every leg is a stage known as transition which gives you time to get ready for the following discipline. For example, between the swim and bike legs, you’ll have a transition to remove your wetsuit and put on your helmet, etc. for biking. It’s not the time to relax too much though as the time you spend in transition is counted in your overall official finish time.
If you’re a first-timer, a sprint tri can be the best way to get your feet wet. Be aware that you can move up to an Ironman event in as little as nine months with hard training and strong determination.
Breaking the Bank?
Will you need to sell your spouse, kids or possibly rob a bank to fund your triathlon interest? Surprisingly, no. Set a reasonable budget that you can live with and you’ll see it will be easier than you might imagine to make kit choices that are cost-effective.
Starting with the swim leg: a basic suit, swim cap and goggles are all a must. A wetsuit will also be necessary if you’re racing in open water. This doesn’t mean you’ll be set back a small fortune as there are a number of brick and mortar stores and online shops that offer wetsuit rental with the option to purchase one down the line. This is an ideal way to go for first-time triathletes.
The next stop should be the local bike shop to get fitted for a set of wheels. Don’t get sidetracked by the razzle dazzle of high-end racing bikes. For your first few tri events, a reasonably priced road bike will suffice. Taking your old bike and fixing it up can save a few dollars but be sure it’s road-worthy before getting on and riding down the street. Next, look for an officially recognized safety helmet as they are compulsory – aerodynamic, suave look comes second!
The final thing on your essentials list is a good pair of running shoes for all and a sports bra for the ladies.
If you’re totally starting from scratch, you may consider a tri ‘start-up’ package. Most triathlon retailers offer the essential – wetsuit, bike, helmet, running shoes and other pieces – for a reasonable price.
Choosing your Training Schedule
Your current fitness levels and different sports background as well as family and work commitments will determine the way you structure your training schedule. Following are five good points to consider before embarking on your tri training:
1. Do an honest self-examination of your strengths and weaknesses. Most people will favour one sport over the others but you must put in the hours across all three or you’ll be dragging on race day.
2. Slowly build up your training level. If you haven’t been doing anything, start out slowly by exercising only 3 times a week. If your fitness level is already solid you can add in more frequent sessions but remember you will be starting new things with new demands so give your body time to adapt. You can also incorporate other workout routines in your schedule to keep things exciting and help build your body fitness levels in new ways.
3. Throw out the myth that says if you cut back on your best or favorite sport, it will negatively affect your performance. Realize that training in different disciplines can improve your effectiveness in another sport.
4. Remember the importance of rest days. Training too hard across three different disciplines can lead to overtraining and exhaustion.
5. In later stages of your training, brick sessions – back-to-back workouts – can be very beneficial. They prepare your muscles for race day and also allow you to practice the logistics of transition.
Are you currently trying to choose whether to train in a health club or at home? Each has their particular pros and cons but deciding upon an in-home workout location should predominantly be for your convenience and motivation having to do with being at home. Think about the handful of points below and let them assist you to decide if in-home exercising is suitable for you.
Positives of In-Home Exercising:
1. Exercising can be performed at any time that’s convenient for yourself plus may be done with or without clothes!
2. There’s no traveling back and forth, so a successful exercise program is possible in under 30 mins.
3. Very little room is necessary to have an in-home workout room and it’s really affordable to build.
4. Bands, dumbbells and balls are more likely to be put to use – these in turn ramp up body fat and calories actually burnt.
5. You can pay for various workout material, such as dvd’s, mp3′s, online material, books, etc. using the cash your saving by not paying health club costs.
6. According to research which has been done, you’re going to be more likely to stick to your working out when your schedule varies i.e. going on a vacation, traveling for business as well as different situations causing stress.
7. You will not need to be comparing your own self to the absolutely serious weight lifters and / or scarcely clad Barbie girls, nor cope with the pervs that look like they’re hanging out just to upset and bother the individuals there to workout and get fit.
8. An opportunity can be open to take various studio classes like pilates, kickboxing or bootcamp as you are not having to pay a membership fee at a gym.
Negatives of In-Home Exercising:
1. Your training session can become longer still less productive on account of a big list of distractions like small children, household pets, significant other, television, and so forth.
2. In-home strength and cardio equipment level of quality isn’t near to that of commercial health club equipment.
3. Lack the ‘energy’ and / or support from others you can find inside a gym nor the camaraderie that stems from meeting people at the gym.
4. You may have a tendency to slack off and not drive yourself to the extent that you may in a health club atmosphere.
5. There may not be adequate area for exercising in your residence.
6. In case you opt for a personal trainer, typically the charge will be almost two times as much to come to your residence compared to working with them in a fitness center.
Choosing a healthy way of living is actually a result of lots of little decisions we make each and every day—with every meal, every single treat and every exercise routine.
You always begin the day with the best objectives. The thought out breakfast shake, then a sensible lunch. But along comes the middle of the afternoon, a real dip in energy, along with reduced self-control. If you are presently in that weakened condition and you see that there are cupcakes in the office break room, watch out!
Healthy choices primarily turn into habits when you implement them a few times.
In lieu of positioning yourself to fail, it is possible to set yourself up to make beneficial choices simply by planning ahead. Which in turn gives you a fighting chance to succeed. So how will you start off?
Identifying your own weak points is the initial step. Figure out exactly where you might slip up, and you can take action to halt it. Listed below are 10 prevalent problems which derail many of us, and additionally, strategies on how to fight back.
1. Stop eating late night meals or snacks. Your metabolism slows while you are sleeping, therefore late-night calories are harder to burn off. In its place, munch on small meals or snack foods every two to three hrs . throughout the day. Time your meals so that you can stop 2 to 3 hours before you go to sleep.
2. Don’t snap up fast food on impulse. You could already be on your way to avoiding this one if you’re eating regular small meals and snacks. You’ll be able to keep the brain fed, so that it won’t turn off. Load up on nutritional snacks and have these with you. These can be simple—a small number of raw almonds is certainly superior to some sort of greasy cheeseburger. Or a Shakeology drink, our favorite nutritional shake, instead of a coke and crackers.
3. In the event you ought to not eat it, do not place it in your cart. Really. If you place it in your cart, it comes home with you. And that means you are aware it is there. Bear in mind, it is a great deal more difficult to consume junk food in a second of stress or weakness if it is not even in your house.
4. For anybody who is lured by junk food, try looking in your mirror. Try to think it through — these calories will reach someplace. And in all probability someplace you have expended a significant time working out endeavoring to trim and condition. So a wrong decision at the present will just lead to more work in the future. Reach for a piece of fruit in its place.
5. Don’t eat to get comfort. Any time a person or thing does get you stressed or distressed, relax and take a breath, not a bite. Armed with the knowledge that you’re taking good care of yourself, even though you’re down, will aid you to really feel a lot better faster. Some good counter tactics are to try getting in touch with a friend, going for a 10-minute walk around the neighborhood, playing with your pet or exercising.
6. Identify healthier alternatives of your favorite sinful pleasures. Supply your kitchen with them instead. Some suggestions are: Wanting ice cream? A creamy low-fat yogurt could hit the spot or a Shakeology shake. Want the crunch of potato chips? You could try snacking on fresh orange peppers or cut up jicama topped with lime juice.
7. Look closely at portion size. You don’t need to dine on heaping portions. In case you unquestionably have to have ice cream, get a teacup rather than a bowl. It’ll give you the flavor you seek, but in a whole lot smaller serving.
8. Make exercising a must. It’s not hard to allow it to feel optional and get forgotten in the shuffle. Decide on a training schedule for a full week and stick to it. In the event it can feel too daunting, start with committing to 1 day. After that try planning for a couple of days, and work from there. When you start being able to see results, you won’t want to stop.
9. Just exercise — you should not think about if you want to. Most people would answer “No.” Just commit, get in your workout attire, and go. You’re going to be sweating, satisfied, and proud of yourself before long.
10. Have to have chocolate? Take a chocolate protein drink. Choose one made with real cocoa powder, so it bites that chocolate nerve and provides essential vitamins and minerals that will nourish your body, and cleansing prebiotics to carefully dispose of built-up toxins from eating packaged food products. Our favorite is Shakeology chocolate flavor that gives you all the above and more.
Overall, keep your larger end goal in focus: to live a healthy, fulfilling life. Just let this aim relay to your individual choices. They’re going to change from challenges into stepping stones on your ultimate trail to success. A good tool to be able to remind yourself to make excellent choices right through the day is to start it off with a good breakfast drink. Not only can it be a complete nutritious, healthy meal, it can certainly help you to suppress your urges and additionally increase your energy level.
WHILE YOU ARE RUNNING: Run 5 or 10 mins, and then stop and stretch. Your muscle tissue is going to be warmer, therefore stretching is going to be simpler. You still shouldn’t stretch so much that it’s agonizing. Stretching needs to be mild.
RIGHT AFTER RUNNING: Complete every exercise by incorporating simple stretching. For those who have use of a whirlpool, the warm water can certainly make stretching easier still. Stretching at various periods during the day is an additional choice.
The Way to Stretch
You can find a great deal, even 100s, of stretches which can be done to ease the muscles. Whole publications are already written about them. One of the better is ‘Stretching’ by Bob Anderson. Visit just about any road competition, and you will observe runners performing stretching workouts prior to running. Below are a few:
HANG TEN: Stand arms at your side. Continuing to keep your legs straight, fold forward and reach out to your feet. Hang on to this position and do it again. Do not think that you should touch your toes. Regardless of whether that can be done may well be dependent just as much on the length of your legs compared to your upper body as your flexibility. This is an excellent stretch to release your upper body and stretch out your hamstrings.
WALL LEANER: Stand confronting a wall, your toes a couple of feet from the wall. Having palms on the wall and having your heels on the floor, incline forwards along with your hips, stretching out the calf muscles. You’ll be able to change this particular workout by extending first 1 leg, then your other, or even by shifting your hand placements laterally.
HEEL HOLD: Stand sideways to the wall, a single hand on it for support. Stretch all the way down using the other hand and grab your ankle, drawing the heel of 1 leg upwards towards you rear end. This is an excellent stretch for your quadriceps.
BUTTERFLY: Sit down on the ground keeping your back straight. Draw your legs together so that the bottoms of your feet are in contact. Your knees are going to be aimed to each side. Place both hands all-around your feet and push to the outside using your arms against the inside your thighs, extending the stretch. This tends to stretch the muscle groups surrounding the groin.
Regardless of whether or not stretching stops injuries can be hard to prove. If you stretch too much, or too rough, you in fact can easily raise the danger of damage. Numerous specialists will inform you to maintain every stretch fifteen to thirty to sixty secs and perform repeatedly a certain number of periods. Do not devote so much time to stretching that you by no means get out to run. A well-balanced training routine, nevertheless, incorporates flexibility workouts. Regarding particular injuries, stretching may well accelerate recuperation. Each runner ought to acquire a frequent stretching regimen.